Inspirational speech at the PROBUS Club
Fitz recently had a chance to give a speech to the PROBUS Club of Kitchener
Fitz inducted into the Rochester Boxing Hall of FameOn September 25, 2016 at the 26th annual Banquet and Awards night, Fitz 'The Whip' Vanderpool and Michael Spinks were the most recent inductees into the Rochester Boxing Hall of Fame. Spinks being the most dominant heavyweight boxer of his era and Fitz taking on all comers including Fernando Vargas were honored along with Steve Smoger and Rochester’s Johnny McCoy. Fitz's record of 26-8-4, with 13 KOs earned him the coveted Courage Award.
Read more about the night and these awesome boxers here:
Labour Day - RBG Relay Flag Bearer
Today we continued the momentum of Emancipation Month Canada and the Historic Pan African flag raising and lowering between Aug 28-Aug 31 at Toronto City Hall. Today at the Toronto Labour Day parade we marched our beloved flag down Queen street with our honorary first flag bearer, 6x Professional Boxing champion Fitzroy Vanderpool. The reason we chose this parade for our 1st leg of the RBG relay was because we believe it is our responsibility to honour those those FREE LABOUR helped build Canada, America and many civilizations all over the world. The millions of lives lost through the Black slave trade and operation WILL not be in vain. We have laboured in the most horrific conditions and we must always pay homage to their great sacrifice.
The slave labour of the Chinese here in Canada also needs to be respected and acknowledged, with the prohibition of the slave trade, Canada needed to replace freed Black slaves on colonial plantations. So they brought in thousands of Chinese workers to do dangerous and hazardous jobs for littler to no pay.
Today we stood for ALL the lives lost through slavery and were never given the support of an union. Thank God for how far we have come, but we have still much further to go.
Our presence today was one small step in creating a lasting legacy of those who laboured without compensation, vacation or appreciation.
R.I.P Muhammad Ali
Muhammad Ali was, and will forever will be, the greatest of all time. Whether it was in the ring, or his core philosophical views in the real world, there is perhaps no more impactful and inspiring man than Ali. And last night, according to a family spokesman who spoke to NBC News, "After a 32-year battle with Parkinson's disease, Muhammad Ali has passed away at the age of 74. The three-time World Heavyweight Champion boxer died this evening."
But let's not despair about the sad news. Rather let us honor Ali's life through some of his best and most entertaining quotes.
- "How tall are you? So I can know in advance how far to step back when you fall down!"
- "Don't count the days, make the days count"
- "Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee. Rumble, young man, rumble."
— 1964, before fighting Sonny Liston.
- "Inside of a ring or out, ain't nothing wrong with going down. It's staying down that's wrong."
- "I told you all, all of my critics, that I was the greatest of all time. ...ever make me the underdog until I'm'about 50 years old."
— Oct. 1, 1974, after knocking out George Foreman to become heavyweight champion, in Kinshasa, Zaire.
- "Friendship is the hardest thing in the world to explain. It's not something you learn in school. But if you haven't learned the meaning of friendship, you really haven't learned anything."
- "Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth."
- "It isn't the mountains ahead to climb that wear you out; it's the pebble in your shoe."
- "Only a man who knows what it is like to be defeated can reach down to the bottom of his soul and come up with the extra ounce of power it takes to win when the match is even."
- "I don't count my sit-ups; I only start counting when it starts hurting because they're the only ones that count."
- "What I suffered physically was worth what I've accomplished in life. A man who is not courageous enough to take risks will never accomplish anything in life."
— a news conference Oct. 28, 1984, in Houston.
- "The man who has no imagination has no wings."
- "The fight is won or lost far away from the witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym, and out there on the road; long before I dance under those lights."
- "Silence is golden when you can't think of a good answer."
- "Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing."
- "I hated every minute of training, but I said, 'Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.'"
- "I've wrestled with alligators. I've tussled with a whale. I done handcuffed lightning. And throw thunder in jail."
- "A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life."
- "Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right."
You will be missed